Monday, January 24, 2011

Etosha National Park

The BEAUTIFUL Namibia Sunset above Etosha National Park!


Ok so back to the trip up north. After leaving Opuwo, we headed to just outside of Etosha National Park, where we stayed in a bush camp. Yes, we slept in tents, but let me tell you, they weren’t just any tents; they were actually really nice minus the fact that we were in the forest in Africa with zip up doors…haha. There were two experiences that I need to tell you allaboutwhen at the bush camp. First, we swam with a water SCORPION!!!We had no idea what it was and when I saw it I was out for good, lol. Second, we had Eland steak for dinner and it was the best steak ever!! (Don’t worry I already told my dad that it nothing against him and that I love his steak too…lol). It was a great experience sleeping in tents in Africa, although this was when I started to get sick L UGH! A bad cold I think…it sucks!

Anyways, after staying one night at the bush camp we headed out bright and early into Etosha National Park. This park was HUGE and wildlife roamed in their natural habitat all around us. We drove from 6:30AM to 4ishPM and still only got half way through the park. It was so amazing though! We saw rhinos, springbok, wildebeest, giraffe, various birds, zebra, a hyena and much more!

One of the many zebra we saw!

Oh and I could NEVER forget…LIONS!!! But before I tell you theamazing experience that goes along with seeing the lions, I need to tell you that seeing lions in there natural habitat was top three on my list of things I wanted to do…

So that being said…here’s the story…

We stopped at a camp within the park to eat lunch and heard that some woman had seen lions 5 min down the road, so we all shoveled the food in and hoped in the van. Just before we left the camp, we noticed a flat tire on our baggage trailer so we stopped to fill it. As they were fixing the leak, we ran into one of the game wardens and of course our driver, Uanee knew him. This lead to Uanee asking the warden if he could show us where the lions were at and amazingly enough he agreed! As we were driving to the lions Uanee informed us that the game warden was willing to take all of us in the back of his truck out close up and personal with the lions! I was Ecstatic! So we piled in and headed out and I am not lying the lions were within FEET fromus, just check the pictures J. There was like 4 or 5 females, a baby, an adolescent male and one full-grown male lion! It was one of the most amazing experiences I’ve ever had.

Ok I'm sorry but I waited hours for a really sweet video I have of the adolescent male lion following our truck, but it still wasn't uploaded and I'm done waiting. lol. You'll have to wait until I get home. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment