Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Pre-Primary Take Two and a Trip to the Children's Home

Wow! Well the day started with an amazing message from one of the heads of department, Mikah. Instead of sharing scripture, he told a story...it went something like this:

There were these two men, each carrying a cross, from city to city. As we all know crosses are very long and very heavy. As they dragged their crosses along the dirt road they became very very exhausted. One of the men came up with an idea, he said, "How about we cut our crosses? Then they won't be as long and heavy." The other man refused and continued to carry his heavy, long cross. The first man however, cut is cross and it indeed became much lighter. As they continued to travel the first man continued to cut more and more until there was hardly any left, while the other man still was dragging is very long and heavy cross. Eventually they came to a HUGE valley right before there destination and with no other way across the man with the uncut cross laid it across the valley, walked across, picked up his cross again and continued on his way. The man with the cut cross asked if he could use his uncut cross but the man replied, "No, I can't my cross is too heavy to stop and wait, I must continue." So, the first man was left with very little of his cross and was unable to cross into the promised land.

Mikah related this story to us as teachers. He said that we have many opportunities to shortcut the hard things, to leave out standards, etc but we are only cutting our learners crosses when we do so and when those learners come to that valley they will be unable to cross over.

As I thought about this story more and more, I was inspired not only as a teacher, but as a Christian, as a follower or Christ. I will never forget this story!
After this amazing time Jessica Edwards and I were informed that the pre-primary teacher was once again gone for the day, so it was back to pre-primary for us! It was a very crazy day, although I feel as though it was somewhat smoother than the first day of school.
One of the greatest challenges for me was the language barrier. Many of the learners (being so young) knew very little English, so when trying to teach routines and procedures such as getting their attention, we tried 4 or 5 different methods before finding one that some what worked (quiet coyote). Even then it was a battle. Some students were very defiant and just smiled and laughed when we tried to tell them to do something, others listened the first time.
We reviewed the colors red, yellow and blue and taught green, we worked on counting, read stories, which were always a hit, and they drew self-portraits of themselves which we hung on the wall. At the end of the day, as the learners hugged us and left, I smiled hoping that each one learned something and were positively impacted throughout the day. Right as the last few learners left, exhaustion hit me like a brick wall.

Megan working on her self-portrait

Luhell working on her self-portrait

Some of the self-portraits hanging on the wall!

Haroldt holding his drawing of the Namibian Flag

Pre-Primary Class Photo

BUT, the day was not over!

We climbed in the van and headed to the Children's home were myself and two other girls will be helping at every Monday. The owner told us that they would love to have tutors and help every day so we split the 9 of us up into pairs and chose 1 day a week.This experience was one I had been waiting for for a long time. I was able to loved on those kids as I had always dreamed of doing. I ran with them up and down the road (barefooted by the way), they did my hair, I hugged them and talked with them for hours. I even helped some kids cover their school books (they all have to be covered). And at the end of the day we got pictures and talked of the fun we will have next Monday when I bring playing cards for them, more bobby pins (for them to do my hair), and whatever else I can stir up. I loved it and the next day, I stayed home sick, but was told that some of them were looking for me at school and that they all said hello from the home. What a joy it is to be with kids here!! I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment