Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Katutura and a tour

Shocked, heartbroken, and amazed all at once…

We toured Windhoek yesterday, where we looked out over thecity, traveled through the city, and drove through Katutura, where we will be teaching. Katutura is the rural area of Windhoek and while going through it seemed like the tin/metal houses never ended. Adults and kids were walking everywhere. It was amazing how joyful the people were while living in what we consider very poor conditions, but after debriefing we learned that some people have themoney to move but choose to live there. While going through Katutura, we stopped at Moses Garoeb, one of the schools some of us will be teaching at. It was amazing and a group of kids come by us while leaving and posed for pictures.J They were so cute and it made us all super excited to start teaching and meet all of our students. I really don’t even know what else to say…I am still pretty speechless about everything. Hereare a couple videos of Katutura and some pictures from the day that probably speak louder than anything I could write.

Once we finished the tour of Windhoek our professors took us into town to exchange money and then let us explore. We went shopping at their mall and markets, mainly just looking around. Some of the girls needed purses/bags and some of us needed sunglasses...the sun is real bright and real hot! We then come back “home” and hung out for a while. I went to take a nap at 7ish and ended up waking up at 10pm, getting ready for bed and going right back to sleep. You could say I was a little exhausted. J I have been waking up around 6-6:30 every morning though and love that. It gives me time to watch the sun finish rising and have some quiet time! I love it.

I think for the most part we are settled, but I am still trying to take everything in and adjust to the new culture. We have to be really quiet here, which some of you may know is really hard for me. Everyone is so nice here and we have met many new friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment