Saturday, February 5, 2011

Teaching...

Wake up, eat, teach, teach some more, plan, sleep and repeat...

That was my week. It was great yet exhausting. Education here is not the same as education in the U.S. and teaching styles are so different. I decided on Tuesday that I needed to drop all expectations and just go with the flow of things...this made for a very interesting week. I taught English and Math all week and consistently battled to keep the learners on task and engaged in their learning. The learners here...they beat each other, chase each other and they run around like crazy. The crazy part is when my teacher is in the class they are almost perfect, but when she leaves they are done. I realized this week just exactly why this happens...my students are scared of my teacher...on Tuesday I watched as my teacher hit a learner with a ruler several times, on Friday I watched as she used a hard plastic rod to hit 4 boys' hands in front of the whole class for fighting, and also on Friday I watched her hit several learners across the head with her hand...And yes I could only watch. I have to remember in my head that this is the only way they know! Some of the hardest parts about it is that I have to just sit there and watch and then I have to continuously struggle to get the learners to behave and listen to me. During a conversation with the class about their behavior I had a boy raise his hand and tell me that I should just beat them in order for them to listen. I told them that I will never beat a child and that I believe there are other ways to help learners learn and behave correctly. As much as it sucks constantly struggling with the learners and trying to figure out a system that works, I have learned so much! I love at those kids and even when I am frustrated, tired and exhausted I just smile and give them another chance to have fun learning. It funny because they don't seem to listen at all during the day but then at the end of the day as I walk towards the van I am surrounded by kids touching me and following me cheerfully.

I did accomplish my pedagogy this week. Wednesday Paula came in and observed me teaching a math lesson! I was soo nervous, but it actually went very well! While Paula was there it was great and then the second half of the day was once again loud and rough. I've learned though that we must not dwell on the bad days, but look at all the accomplishments and good events that have happened and move on. Every morning brings new mercies!! SO every day is a new day and every day I love those kids more!

BRING ON THE TEACHING! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment