Thursday, February 17, 2011

Valentine's Day

Valentine Treasure
By: Joanna Fuchs

Valentine treasures are people who
have often crossed your mind,
family, friends and others too,
who in your life have shined
the warmth of love or a spark of light
that makes you remember them;
no matter how long since you've actually met,
each one is a luminous gem,
who gleams and glows in your memory,
bringing special pleasures,
and that's why this Valentine comes to you:
You're one of those sparkling treasures!

This was a poem given to the whole staff at A.I. Steenkamp on Valentine's Day, along with a very good chocolate. It was a very nice treat. I began to realize at the staff meeting that here Valentine's day is much more emphasized...even to those who are not married, engaged or seeing someone. They emphasize LOVE more than anything. Valentine's Day is a day to spread love to all those around you...it's a day to remember those you love and let them know...It's a day that allows them an extra opportunity to spread Christ's love, even when some don't believe. I cannot tell you how many times I heard staff and learners say, "Love is in the air!" It was so great :) Being here for Valentine's day gave me a new prospective on this holiday that, in the States, I never really cared for. Valentine's day is a day about love and although you don't need a day to spread love, it gives you an extra opportunity not only to love those of the opposite sex in your life, but those who have shined in your life, those who you treasure and love! I will forever see Valentine's day different.

Speaking of love though...I have to say that it felt like it was lacking in my class today. It was by far one of the hardest days I've had with them. They did not want to listen AT ALL! They were beating each other up, stealing each others stuff, and every time I looked away they were running around like crazies. No matter how hard I tried to get them settled and listening, they didn't listen. I tried every signal I had taught them plus some and none worked. I tried clapping and they just would start clapping and never stop. I tried waiting silently and there was no response...they didn't even seem to notice me. I tried "If you can hear me touch your...." NOTHING worked! I got very frustrated and I won't lie...I cried a little. I didn't want my kids to see that so I tried to hide it and suck it up, but it was so hard. I felt myself beginning to shut down to everything around me, but I knew I couldn't. I had to continue to teach some how.I had to discipline some how. I just didn't know how...So I tried to have a talk with them. I told them they know how to act and this is not it. I told them that they wouldn't be getting their Valentine's day treat if they didn't fix their behavior and I asked them if this was how they should be treating themselves and myself, as their teacher. They told me no, so I then told them that they owed me an apology. Them apologized and I told them that I forgave them and that I expect their behavior to change. I started over and still decided to have a drawing for prizes for those who did behave (very few but some). I put the day behind me, although it was hard and I headed to the Children's home!

It was probably on of my favorite days ever at the home with the kids. It started with walking home with them from school. Last week I thought to myself, why don't we ever just walk with the kids instead of getting picked up and dropped off there? The kids walk home ever day...I want to see how far they walk everyday and what they experience. So I did! We walked all the way home. It was about a 20-ish minute walk probably and walking with the kids was amazing. Bianca, Johannes, and Gustav all waited after school and showed us the way. It was a great experience.
Syndia's Funny Face
Gavin and Johannes' Funny Faces :)

Once we got to the home we cooled of and took some pictures. As the younger kids rested I gave Conrad, Nikki, Deon, and Coco some shirts that Dennis had sent with me. They loved them. I also got to meet Rosa, the owner of Dolam Children's Home. She was a very nice woman and had both Molly and I sign the visitor book, giving them our contact information. I was sure to ask her for their contact information as well and found out that I will be able to send mail AND/OR email any and all of the kids to keep in touch when I return home. This gives me a little more peace about leaving, but I still don't really like talking about it. Rosa was also telling me how they are going to start building a new Dolam Children's home down the road a bit at the end of this month. The small house they have right now is just TOO small and it is hard with 23 kids to only have 3 bedrooms. The older kids are in with the younger and that makes it harder for all of them. SO, they are building a bigger place that will have more space as well as room for the offices that Rosa and other work out of for the home. They have a small office building down the road from the home now, but because of the two different buildings, Rosa is not at the home very often. She mentioned to me that they need all the support they can get to help pay for the new place and asked if I could fund raise money when i get back to the States...I would love doing this, but will wait to see what happens.

Proceeding with the day, once the kids rested we started homework. Bianca had quite a bit of social studies, so I helped her with that as well as Syndia with her reading homework. We got it all done though and then was able to teach Bianca, Syndia, Priscilla, and a few other kids how to play slap jack. We had a good time playing for about 10 minutes, then decided to go on a walk. Bianca clung onto me and we walked a big loop. I had no idea where I was going, but the kids knew the roads like the back of their hand! A couple of the girls, including Bianca, took my camera most of the time and I later found they they had actually shot some really good photos.

Walking with Bianca
Walking with Bianca and Syndia

When we finally got back to the home, Bianca did my hair again and then we just had some cuddle time. I think we are both realizing that we only have a little time left. She seemed very down as the time got shorter and shorter before I had to leave. She was even asking me and letting me take lots of photos of us together. I love all those kids so much and I am going to have such a hard time leaving. I received several letters from Bianca saying how I am her mother and she is going to miss me very much. One particular letter touched my heart and brought tear to my eyes when she told me she didn't have a mother or father and that she loved seeing me and hugging me every day and that when she sees me she sees her mother... It's moments like this that I feel the Lord really breaks my heart for what breaks His! It will be a struggle leaving all of these kids behind...even my learners, but I know it will be OK.

Cuddles with Bianca After a good walk
Johannes...Always bringing a smile to my face!

No comments:

Post a Comment