Sunday, February 6, 2011

Thought and feelings so far...

I don't even know where to begin...

I have seen houses made from metal scraps with no electricity or running water. I have taught for a week in a school that has very little supplies and broken desks and chairs. I have had to watch teachers beat and yell at kids and have been asked by my learners to do the same or they won't learn. I have watched learners walk home in the pouring rain bare foot.

I have also been surrounded by beautiful mountains, watched the most amazing sunset from a cliff, and seen huge sand dunes everywhere. I could not help but think about how big my God is. All of the mountains and sand dunes were so big and so beautiful, it was breath taking.
I have also experienced the uneasy feeling of walking around in a town where not many speak English well and all are trying to provide for their families by selling hand made jewelry. And I cant forget about the tent schools either. I have visited a school that was held in one big tent with one table and a chalkboard in the scorching heat.

I don't even think I have completely processed everything I have seen and experienced. My heart has broken at some of the things I have seen and I have also experienced complete joy and amazement.

This experience has not been what I expected at all. I have felt alone yet surrounded by people. I have felt failure and success. I have learned, but at the same time felt as though I have retained anything. I have missed home but at the same time have not wanted to leave.
How can I love people more? How can I teach these kids in a meaningful way? How can I spend the light and hope of the Lord? How can I fully soak in all that I am experiencing? I don't want to forget the things I've seen. I don't want to waste this time hear. I want to do the Lord's will in this place.

I am here in Namibia Africa...I am in the place I have only dreamed of coming to...I have experienced things I have only imagined in my thoughts...I have pictured what it would be like and I don't know that one thing has been what I pictured.

Lord guide me as I continue on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment